The Sweet Scent of Lavender Essential Oil
04/10/22 18:11 Filed in: Ingredients
Lavender essential oil is an ingredient that I consider indispensable to the home cosmetics/perfume crafter. The essential oil of the lavender plant has a fresh, clean scent which can be used alone as a fragrance, or can be successfully blended with other oils to create fragrances for both men and women. Lavender essential oil is naturally antibacterial and gentle to the skin making it an excellent additive to cosmetics for children and adults. In addition, lavender essential oil is one of the few natural essential oils that is affordable and pleasant smelling. And its fragrance is one that insects despise.
Types of Lavender Essential Oil
If you like lavender essential oil, you can purchase it in three basic types. French lavender (lavandula angustifolia) has the characteristic fresh, floral fragrance of lavender. Spike lavender (lavandula latifolia) has an odor similar to that of camphor. Lavandin (lavandua angustifolia x lavandula latifolia) is a hybrid between French and Spike lavender and has a fragrance somewhere in between the two. In addition to lavender essential oil, some manufacturers also produce lavender absolute. Lavender essential oil is produced by steam distillation, whereas lavender absolute is produced by extracting the essential oil with a solvent. Lavender absolute is more concentrated than lavender essential oil, and more expensive.
Ideas For Using Lavender Essential Oil In Home Perfumery:
Here are several ideas for incorporating lavender essential oil into your perfume formulas.
- Add several drops to your favorite floral oil to make a light, feminine perfume.
- Blend it with woody scents to make fragrances for men.
- Combine it with citrus scents for zesty, herbal aromas.
- Add it to light musk fragrance oil to create "rain" type fragrances.
Ideas For Using Lavender Essential Oil When Making Soap and Cosmetics
Here are several ideas for using lavender when making soap and cosmetics:
- Insect Repellents: Blend lavender essential oil with citronella essential oil for an effective insect repellent. To help take the sting out of insect bites, put a drop on the bite and rub in.
- Face Care Products: Add lavender essential oil to toners, creams and lotions for gentle and natural acne fighting effects.
- Deodorants: Because lavender essential oil is naturally antibacterial, it is an excellent natural odor fighter. Add several drops of lavender essential oil to cornstarch to make a natural deodorant powder. Dissolve several drops in alcohol and then add to water to make a spray on deodorant.
- Soaps: Add powdered lavender or lavender essential oil to your favorite soap recipe to make lavender soaps.
Interesting fact about Lavender:
Lavender essential oil is an ingredient in several women's famous fragrances including: You're The Fire (Yardley) and Eau de Lavande (Goutal), as well as several famous men's fragrances including: Moustache (Rochas), Halston 101 (Halston).
Related Articles:The Many Types Of Coconut Oil - Information For Using It In Handmade Soap and Cosmetics
Information about Cypress Oil
Tips for Using Vanilla in Handmade Soap and Cosmetics
Sesame Seed Oil - A Brief History and Information For Using It In Handmade Soap and Cosmetics
Related Products:Bath and Body Luxuries – Recipes for Pampering Yourself and Others
Bath and Body Care Recipes For Men
Herbal Soap - Recipes For Handcrafters