The Sweet Scent of Lavender
Types of Lavender
If you like lavender, you can purchase it in three basic types. French lavender (lavandula angustifolia) has the characteristic fresh, floral fragrance of lavender. Spike lavender (lavandula latifolia) has an odor similar to that of camphor. Lavandin (lavandua angustifolia x lavandula latifolia) is a hybrid between French and Spike lavender and has a fragrance somewhere in between the two. In addition to lavender essential oil, some manufacturers also produce lavender absolute. Lavender essential oil is produced by steam distillation, whereas lavender absolute is produced by extracting the essential oil with a solvent. Lavender absolute is more concentrated than lavender essential oil, and more expensive.
Using Lavender In Home Perfumery:
Here are several ideas for incorporating lavender essential oil into your perfume formulas.
- Add several drops to your favorite floral oil to make a light, feminine perfume.
- Blend it with woody scents to make fragrances for men.
- Combine it with citrus scents for zesty, herbal aromas.
- Add it to light musk fragrance oil to create "rain" type fragrances.
Using Lavender In Your CosmeticsHere are several ideas for using lavender in home cosmetics:
- Insect Repellents: Blend lavender with citronella essential oil for an effective insect repellent. To help take the sting out of insect bites, put a drop on the bite and rub in.
- Face Care Products: Add lavender essential oil to toners, creams and lotions for gentle and natural acne fighting effects.
- Deodorants: Because lavender is naturally antibacterial, it is an excellent natural odor fighter. Add several drops of lavender essential oil to cornstarch to make a natural deodorant powder. Dissolve several drops in alcohol and then add to water to make a spray on deodorant.
- Soaps: Add powdered lavender or lavender essential oil to your favorite soap recipe to make lavender soaps.
Lavender is an ingredient in several women's famous fragrances including: You're The Fire (Yardley) and Eau de Lavande (Goutal), as well as several famous men's fragrances including: Moustache (Rochas), Halston 101 (Halston).
Insect Repellent Body OilIf you are going into mosquito territory, make up some of this oil and apply it liberally.
You will need:
- 8 oz (250 ml) grapeseed oil
- 1 tsp (5 ml) lavender essential oil
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) peppermint essential oil
- 10 drops rosemary oleoresin
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.